ABILENE, Texas (KTAB/KRBC) - Abilene police are reminding citizens that they could issue citations to motor scooter riders who violate traffic laws.
Motorized scooters, which can be found all over Abilene and are available for anyone to use for a small fee, are subject to the following laws, as outlined in Section 551.351/.352 of the Texas Transportation Code:
- Scooters can only operate on streets with a speed limit of 35 mph or less
- Scooters can cross the street at intersections where the speed limit is greater than 35 mph
- Scooters cannot be driven on sidewalks
- Scooters cannot be parked anywhere on sidewalks that would block a walking path
- Operators must abide by all traffic laws to include direction signs, pedestrian right-of-ways, and signaling for turns.
- Operators must be 18 or older to use motorized scooters
Riders found in violation of these laws could be subject to citations from the Abilene Police Department.
"The traffic enforcement goal of the Police Department is to reduce traffic accidents and injuries and to facilitate the safe and expeditious flow of vehicle and pedestrian traffic through the public’s voluntary compliance with traffic regulations," a press release reveals.
Anyone with questions about laws regarding motorized scooter operation can contact Abilene PD's non-emergency number at (325)673-8331.